Friday, November 27, 2009

Thursday Night Non-Ride report



A beautiful night for a ride (as previously posted).

But also a beautiful night to attend the Winnipeg premiere of the new flick, The Road.

Cousin Tom and I scored some free passes (thanks Free Press!) and settled into our second row seats for the show. Don't sit in the second row. No neck rests at Grant Park. Sore neck.

As for the film...it followed the plot of the book quite closely. Which is good. And in my opinion, also bad. Since first reading this novel (by Cormac McCarthy) two years ago I have found myself drawn back to it twice for re-reading. I must say its vaulted into a safe place on my all-time Top Ten book list. Which is to say I expected a lot from the film and it kinda delivered. It stayed true...good. The book doesn't lend itself to being adapted into a movie...bad.

All in all it was a decent film. But the book, as always is better.

Tom may disagree, but we'd both like to hear from someone who saw the movie and hasn't read the book.

2 comments:

  1. I am 1/2 way through the book - I didn't know it was a book and was looking forward to the movie. But after seeing the trailer I think the movie will be too creeeeeeepy for me to watch. I still get nightmares from Shindlers List and the X-Files episode with the sin eater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true...the X-Files "Sin Eater" episode is a gooder.

    I found the movie to be less scary than reading the book actually. I'd often be reading before bed and have to keep reading until I got to more favourable sections in order to accomodate sleeping.

    Anyone seen the movie, but not read the book?

    ReplyDelete